Mushroom Stroganoff

I've been making this for years, but last night's was the best tasting so far.
I owe this in part to the half bottle of brandy I added whilst trying to take flambé pictures ;)

Continuing with the Vegan MoBo theme and in an attempt to prove that I eat food in between drinks:

Ingredients (Serves 2):
  • 2 handfuls Fresh Mushrooms
  • 1 handful Dried Mushrooms
  • 1 Onion
  • 1 clove Garlic
  • Smoked Tofu
  • 100ml Brandy
  • 1 pint Mushroom Stock
  • Fresh Soya Cream
Slice fresh mushrooms and fry in a little oil with cubed tofu, minced garlic and diced onion. You can use any type of mushroom you want - a combination can be good. Either red or white onion is fine. I use Taifun Smoked Tofu with Almonds and Sesame Seeds - it's much nicer than unflavoured stuff and is firm enough to fry with.

Make up the stock and reconstitute dried mushrooms in it. Again you can use any - last night I used shiitake and porcini. Once they've softened up; remove from the stock and add to the pan.

Cook until onion is soft and the mushroom has released excess moisture. When the pan is hot and reasonably dry, add the brandy and light (standing back so you don't loose your eyebrows in the process). If you add it when the pan isn't hot enough or when the mushrooms are still releasing moisture then you'll have difficulty lighting.

You can add as much brandy as you like, but 100ml should be enough. It also works with sherry and I guess other booze too (but probably not kahlua).

Pour in the stock, bring to the boil and allow to simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed / boiled off. Add cream to taste, stir through and heat.

Season with salt/pepper and serve with tagliatelle or linguine. Waitrose in the UK sell fresh varieties of each.

Tomorrow I'll return to booze only, I promise.

9 comments:

  1. Eimear said...:

    Brandy and cream, can't really go wrong there! I must try this:)

  1. Carol said...:

    Stroganoff is my absolute favourite dish. I used to like chicken kiev too back in the day so maybe I was Russian in a previous life. But anyway... I am so making this very, very soon. Might have to sub red wine for the brandy though, don't keep spirits in the house. That photo has me salivating!

  1. Unknown said...:

    this looks so great, I've never made stroganoff before but I have a feeling that The Big V will LOVE it... i'll give this a go this weekend!

  1. Stephanie said...:

    This looks truly amazing, and will be a fantastic way to use up the bottle of brandy that's been sitting on top of my fridge forlornly for the past 3 months. Bookmarked!

  1. My partner is going to love your blog! And this recipe looks great!

    We've just moved to the UK from Australia and I'm having trouble getting vegetable stock. At home we used to buy pretty good quality stuff in 1L tetra packs. The only stuff I can find here is in little satchels that you add water to. Any suggestions about where I can find better stuff?

  1. celyn said...:

    Wow, this looks just incredible.

  1. Anonymous said...:

    Fire always makes things great! I'm so glad I found your blog. Vegan Mobofo.

  1. Steven said...:

    Thanks! :)

    A Not-So-Skinny Vegan: I use Kallo stock cubes, which are widely available in UK supermarkets:

    http://www.guardianecostore.co.uk/category/groceries-and-everyday/condiments/vegan-by-kallo.html

    For vegetable stock you can also use Vecon, which comes in jars of black paste from health food stores.

Post a Comment