Cucumber Gin

Having made Mint & Strawberry Sorbet last week I've been considering ways to get some cucumber flavour into my Strawberry Pimms Cocktail. The obvious answer is cucumber gin, however the stuff that is commercially available isn't cheap and vegan status unknown. Thus I embarked on making my own.

Creating soft fruit infusions is very easy; you just need fruit, alcohol, a jar and between 2 days and 1 week. Cut the cucumber into thin slices and add to the jar with the gin. I used Juniper Green Organic Gin, which I know to be vegan. When last checked both Gordons and Bombay Sapphire were also vegan, however I save the latter for drinks where the gin's flavour will be fully appreciated.

Seal the jar and give it a good shake and put it somewhere where you'll see it regularly, giving it another shake each time you do. After shaking be sure that all the cucumbers are covered, as you don't want them going mouldy. When complete strain the cucumber out and bottle. I can't imagine it going off any time in the next year, so it should be good for the summer.

3 comments:

  1. Steven said...:

    I tried a wee dram of this last night and am pleased to announce it's a phenomenal success! Really cucumbery and slightly sweet. Will leave cucumbers in for another 10 days for maximum effect then bottle. I tried mixing with a dash of sugar syrup but it was more pleasant on its own.

  1. Steven said...:

    I bottled after 1 week; the cucumbers are starting to go a bit transparent, the gin a good green colour and am not convinced it needs any longer. Have edited the post to say max 1 week not 2.

  1. Anonymous said...:

    good lord man - you've tapped into my brain and stolen my favourite flavours. cucumber yumyumyum

Post a Comment